What services do human resouorces hr consultants provide
You may not have the time or money as a new small business owner to hire an in-house human resource person or department. That’s where human resource consultants come in and can provide you with the extra help you need. But what services do human resources (HR) consultants provide? Outsourcing by using a consultant instead of hiring in-house saves you time and money and potentially even saves you money on benefits premiums (e.g., employee retirement plans). This is because they are connected and they come with a plethora of experience.
“HR consulting is the practice of delivering all aspects of human resource management as an external provider” (SHRM, 2022). Human resources is extremely important in protecting your business against employee lawsuits and claims, like wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation, and discrimination. Additionally, HR helps you with compensation and benefits, recruitment/retention, hiring/firing, and keeping up to date with any laws that may affect the company and its employees.
Many small businesses wait until they are sued or need to fire someone to consult with an HR professional. This could be too late. If you haven’t hired an HR consultant yet, you should do so right away. A new business needs a professional HR consultant to develop the best strategies and policies for hiring and retaining talent. It’s also best practice to have policies and procedures, an employee handbook, payroll, compensation and benefits early on – to make communication and expectations very clear to employees. Even employee training and development is important early on to keep you competitive as an employer and to keep employees engaged. HR consultants can take care of all of these things – and more!
This blog will discuss the standard HR consulting’ services you can expect and what Startup Tandem does above and beyond.
Standard HR Consulting Services:
- Developing, revising, and implementing HR policies and procedures.
- Analyzing a company’s current HR programs and recommending solutions.
- Writing or revising your company’s employee handbook.
- Payroll processing.
- Employee benefits administration.
- Professional Recruiting Services.
- HR Audit and Operational Review.
- Compensation /benefits Strategy and Planning.
- Employee Training Programs.
- HR Strategy.
- Succession Planning.
- Leadership Development & Coaching.
Startup Tandem’s Human Resource Consultants Twist:
We heard your questions, so we will walk you through HR consultants’ services and what Startup Tandem does differently.
- Recruiting – Once you are ready to hire internally, we will write clear descriptions and find, screen & hire talent for you. If you prefer coaching, we can guide you in completing these crucial steps yourself by creating a process specific to your company’s product, stage, needs and current employees.
- Compliance – We will help you with payroll, HR policies, and systems, including employee handbooks, policies and procedures (P&Ps), and finding the best human resources information system (HRIS). We keep you up to date on federal and state equal employment and non-discrimination laws, anti-harassment laws, and workers’ compensation laws. See our recent blog on how to write an employee handbook here.
- Retention – Once your talent is on board, we will train them, grow them professionally, and succession plan when you know that key employees are moving on. We uncover what your employees’ motivations are and build on their specific needs, wants and appreciation at work languages.
Startup Tandem will help you with all the hard stuff, too
- Layoffs/terminations – We provide strategies, conversation counseling, and guidance for your business. This will help you to support transitional employees and avoid wrongful termination. For an additional fee, we will terminate your employees for you, ensuring all legalities and taking out the emotion.
- The Hard Stuff – We will ensure your contracts are valid and up-to-date and your HR investigations are unbiased. For an additional fee, we will conduct your investigations or write your contracts for you.
- Onboarding – We provide checklists, mentorship programs, and other best practices tailored to your organization, from the new hire’s first engagement to the end of their introductory (probationary) period.
- Culture & Leadership – We will help you build a culture where employees feel happy to work, using evidence-based culture and leadership programs specifically customized for your organization. The process starts with conflict, personality, strengths, and appreciation assessments that help individuals and groups discover themselves and work better together.
- Compensation – We look at your budget and business strategy to analyze and advise on pay increases and recommend staying competitive with talent yet staying within your means. Additionally, we work with our CFO, financial advisory department, tax department, and financial analysis department to fit your employees and their compensation into your unique financial puzzle.
- Benefits – We have licensed insurance agents that can write life & health insurance and retirement plan policies. We also consult on mandatory benefits and recommend discretionary benefits that keep employees thriving at work (according to the literature on job satisfaction and retention).
How Can Startup Tandem Human Resource Consultants Help?
Aside from tapping into any of the outsourced HR services mentioned above, we want you to know that Startup Tandem provides full-cycle services to startups with you from beginning to end.
Startup Tandem believes in using unique pricing structures that enable startups to receive valuable services for a fixed price (rather than billable hours).
Want to know more about what our human resource consultants provide? Get in touch now.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive blogs directly to your email.
SHRM. (2022, April 26). Introduction to Consulting. SHRM. Retrieved September 12, 2022, from https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/tools-and-samples/toolkits/Pages/default.aspx